Sunday, October 25, 2015

An Afternoon with the Gremmlers in Schwanebeck, Germany

We drove from Worbis to Schwanebeck (with a construction detour thrown in) through the Harz Mountains.  We arrived to Kurt Gremmler's house (yes...a Gremler with 2 m's in his name) just in time for lunch.  Kurt is a nephew of my grandfather Ernest, who was born in Borne, Germany and moved to the U.S. in the early 1920s.  (For a history of the Gremler/Gremmler family, click here.) His wife is Gitte; Gerhard is his son, Daniela his granddaughter, and Fabian his greatgrandson.
Gerhard, Daniela, Fabian (in front), Gitte, Dwayne, Kurt, and Candy in their courtyard.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. My mom was born in Schwanebeck in 1923 and fled the Weimar Republic to The U.S. with her parents in 1925. I often times wonder what driving through the German countryside would be like as well as how secure. I am positive I have relatives there.

    ReplyDelete